- Financial Aid
- Career Center
Menu Fav Icon
IV Blood Withdrawal Certification
Top Content Image - Programs - IV
LVN IV THERAPY+ BLOOD WITHDRAWAL CERTIFICATION
There is no better time than now to enhance your nursing skills and increase your marketability. The IV Therapy and Blood Withdrawal Class provide training and certification to California Licensed Vocational Nurses, graduates of a California BVNPT Vocational Nursing Program and Registered Nurses, for remediation only.
This 36 hour course is approved by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) and is designed to enable the Licensed Vocational Nurse to safely initiate and maintain intravenous therapy in the clinical setting. LVNs completing the course will be certified by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric technicians to initiate and superimpose intravenous fluids and blood withdrawal.
This course combines two courses that will provide students both lecture and clinical hands on experience with the techniques required to start IV infusion as well as withdrawal of blood for testing.
Theory Content Includes, but is not limited to:
- Psychological preparation of the patient
- Universal precautions for infection control
- Blood withdrawal
- Skin puncture
- Arterial punctures (optional)
- Selection of appropriate method
- Safety measures
- Possible complications
- Basic IV Review
- Advanced Theory (maintaining PICC lines, Central Lines, Pumps, etc.)
- Possible complications
- Preparation of withdrawal sites
Clinical content includes, but is not limited to:
- Preparation of equipment for blood withdrawal
- Safety factors
- Choice of withdrawal site
- Choice of artery (optional)
- Choice of device for blood withdrawal
- Techniques of venipuncture
- Techniques of arterial puncture
- Skin puncture practice:
- Preparation of site
- Preparation of equipment
The course is four (4) nine (9) hour days in theory and practice and principles of intravenous therapy and blood withdrawal. Each student must complete a minimum of three (3) individually supervised successful venipuncture and three (3) individually supervised skin punctures on live human subjects.
Students must attend all hours for completion of course and issuance of certificate. No makeup classes’ are allowed.
Applicants must provide proof of one of the following:
- A current and valid CA LVN License
- Senior standing in a CA VN Program
- A graduate of a Vocational Nurse Program
- Interim permit status for California LVN Licensure
- Licensed RN (CA)
Applicants must register and pay prior to first day of class:
- Applicants must contact Kelley Malone or Desiree Tercero Career Services Advisors for registering:
- PHONE: Registration and payment information to 800-270-5052
- FAX: Registration and payment information to 818-785-2191
- MAIL: Registration to Casa Loma College, 6725 Kester Ave., Van Nuys, CA 91405
|Course Fee, Textbook & Supplies||
Refunds and Cancellation
Course fees must be paid at the time of registration. No payments will be accepted on the day of class start.
- Refunds nor credit for next class will be given for no-shows
- To receive refund, cancellations must be received by phone or mail at least 3 days prior to class start.
- Participants canceling after cancellation period will not be refunded any moneys.
- Must have minimum class size of 10. Refunds will be given if class is cancelled by the College.
Certification - LVNs
At the completion of the course LVNs who satisfactorily complete the course will receive a certificate of completion. The licensee is advised to retain the certificate. After completion of the course, a copy of the certificate along with the state paperwork will be submitted to the board and the licensee will be listed as certified in intravenous therapy and blood withdrawal.
Non-licensed graduates / Seniors of a CA Vocational Nurse Program
Should licensure be obtained after course completion, it is the responsibility of the student to contact Casa Loma College and request submission of the required certificate to the Board (BVNPT). Casa Loma College must receive your license number before information can be submitted.
Once you are certified, you never have to renew the certifications as long as your license remains current.
Course Provider Approval
The Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians Provider No I.V. T. # I2164; Blood Withdrawal B216
Note: This course is not included in the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) Institutional Accreditation.. This is a non-credit-course. Students must not assume that this course will be accepted for transfer credit at another institution. This course does not qualify for Title IV federal financial aid funds. The institution does not offer job placement assistance for short courses; finding a job is the individual responsibility of the student.